Monday, January 28, 2013

Some Of My Favorites...

Yesterday I promised to add some of our simple "tricks" and pantry stocks to help get through a week staying on track! 

1. Deli whole roasted chickens can be a simple easy grab on the way home.  Serve it with a side salad with  reduced fat dressing. Another favorite side dish is a simple rice pilaf (Uncle Ben's wild rice is a family favorite).  Just be sure to remove as much of the skin and fat as possible to cut back on calories.

2. Uncooked shrimp can thaw quickly under a small trickle of cold water. I place my shrimp in a collander and then inside a larger bowl directly under the spigot inside my kitchen sink. After about 5 mins in the cold water remove the collander and gently remove any pieces of ice you can and place back under the trickle of water inside the bowl. You can make a number of dishes once thawed!

3. Stock low sodium crushed tomatoes for a quick marinara sauce. Check out my simple recipe under the Butternut Squash Lasagna blog.  For a quick pasta dish and add in some chicken/turkey italian sausage to up the protein content.

4. I have fallen in love with Johnsonville's half pork bratwursts! They totally take me back to summer grilling. While they aren't as low in calories and fat as a 100% chicken or turkey braat, they are great! I served ours with a simple shredded napa cabbage, shredded carrot, and light ranch dressing "salad".

My biggest suggestion to anyone watching what they eat is to do a lot of prep work and measuring on the weekends to avoid frustration and poor decisions during the hectic work week.  For example, use snack sized baggies to portion control mid-day snacks and servings. I love a wedge of Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb cheese with a serving of pretzel thins for a mid-day snack at work. So every weekend I buy another bag of pretzel thins I make up little "to-go" baggies of 11 pretzels. I know it sounds kinda geeky but it really prevents me from overeating or skipping a snack.

If you have a great trip, trick or idea please post it here..... I love new ideas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment