Monday, January 14, 2013

Oven Fried Halibut

I'm pretty picky about fish. After a less than good experience with a mushy baked fish covered in some white sauce I haven't been a fan of baked or broiled white fish. I'm a huge fan of lovely crispy fried fish but that doesnt exactly fit with our good eating commitment so I needed to tweak my usual recipe.

I turned to halibut which is a very firm nice fish. I was impressed with turnout despite using a frozen fish because the fresh price was rather high.

Wanting a crunchy topping I turned to panko (japense breadcrumbs). They are crispy without any extra fat. Usually fried fish is coated in milk, flour, eggs, and then crumbs. I wanted to skip the flour and reduce the fat of using full eggs. I skipped the milk and flour reduced my usual two eggs to one egg and one egg white.

To keep the cooking fats at a minimum I seared the coated fish and finished them in the oven.

Here's the full recipe:

Oven Fried Halibut

12 ounces of Halibut - mine came as two six ounce filets
1 egg and 1 egg white
1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 Tablespoons olive oil

Place the egg and egg white in a shallow dish and lightly beat with a splash of water.
In another shallow dish mix the panko and seasonings together.
Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
Heat the oil in a skillet.
Dip the top and bottom of each filet in the egg mixture and then the panko mixture.
Place each fillet in the pan and cook just until the panko begins to turn golden, approximately 5 minutes on each side.
Remove from pan and place on a cookie or baking sheet and move to the oven for approximately 6 minutes.
The fish will be firm to the touch and should easily flake with a fork.
Serve warm.

Play around with the spices you like the best. We felt the rosemary added a terrific flavor but you could definately add in some heat or some lemon zest for a new twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment