Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Sage and Bacon

So if you’re following these posts along in “order” you would have seen my Squash Balti which left me with a decent amount of butternut squash in my fridge. I hate being wasteful so my veggie(and squash)-disliking-self needed another tasty dish I would eat.  Cooking Light website to my rescue!
Last night we had the best ravioli I’ve ever had in my life! It was perfect (everything with bacon is better, right?). Of course, I made some tweaks to the Cooking Light version I found online so I’ve put my version below.   We served the ravioli with a broiled chicken breast and a serving of oven roasted asparagus. Yummo!
The trick here for all you busy people, especially working parents, is that this uses wonton wrappers instead of having to make your own sheets of pasta! Huge timesaver and it turned out very good. (I’m a total pasta snob and yes, I love making my own noodles and do so frequently)
Butternut Squash Ravioli with Sage and Bacon       Adapted from Cooking Light

20 Wonton Skins (I find these near the organic produce in my grocery store)
1 cup roasted and mashed butternut squash
(I roasted mine with pressed garlic and 3 diced green onions @ 300 for 45 minutes)
4 Tablespoons of Italian breadcrumbs
1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Pinch of nutmeg
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 strips of bacon
3 leaves of fresh sage finely julienned

Mix the squash, breadcrumbs, cheese, nutmeg and lemon juice together and let rest in the fridge. Dice the bacon (I keep mine frozen for easier dicing) into small pieces and add to a sauté pan set to medium. Brown the bacon and render out the bacon fat but leave it in the pan (it will be our “dressing”). Remove half of the bacon pieces and add them to the squash mixture. Leave the other half of the bacon and all of the fat in the sauté pan for use later.  
Remove squash from the fridge and place one tsp in the center of a wonton skin. Brush water around the skin where there is no filling. Place a second skin over top of the first matching edges and pushing out any excess air while you seal the two skins together.  I used a biscuit/cookie cutter to then cut around the filling a 2 ¾ inch round from the skins. If you don't have a cutter you can just cook and serve the square ravioli.  Repeat until you’re out of filling or skins.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the ravioli’s in the boiling water carefully watching for any open edges. Once the ravioli’s float to the top remove them from the water and place in the bacon sauté pan. Sprinkle on the sage and serve warm.

5 raviolis are approximately 389 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment