Friday, January 11, 2013

Shrimp Pad Thai (spicy)

Sometimes we there are epic fails and last night was one of them for me.

So why am I sharing this with you? Well, I had originally set out to make the below Cooking Light recipe but I chickened out and was concerned about the spice level and if my kids would eat it. So I changed pretty much everything about the recipe and did not enjoy the results. Advice here is to stick to the recipe and just make your kids something else. J

This is still on deck to be made again. It’s an oldie and a goodie for me, so while I didn't make it last night I trust it enough to share it with you today as inspiration!

Shrimp Pad Thai                 From Cooking Light
Allergy warning: contains lots of peanut and nut oils

8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
1/4 cup low-sodium teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons hot water
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon Sriracha (hot chili sauce, such as Huy Fong)
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil (or olive oil if you must)
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 pound raw peeled and deveined large shrimp
4 cups snow peas
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
5 lime wedges

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain and set aside.
Combine teriyaki sauce, hot water, peanut butter, and Sriracha.
Heat the sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add shrimp; sauté for 2 minutes or until shrimp are almost done. Add teriyaki sauce mixture, and cook for 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add pasta and snow peas; cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring well. Sprinkle with cilantro and peanuts. Serve with lime wedges.

Best of luck! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment