Friday, January 11, 2013

Fish Tacos

I am so pleased to hear from some of you that you have been inspired by one of my posts. That is such a blessing! I know I wouldn't be having any success (9 pounds down) without my husband, my mom, and my best friend who each inspire and push me every day!
Alright, enough with the mushy stuff and let’s get to the FOOD!
I love fish tacos but depending on where you order them they can have a heavy greasing breading or be heavily dressed with not-so-good fats. Besides I wanted to make them at home instead of going out.
Everything is trial by error in my house. The first mistake we noticed is that we wasted too many calories on a tortilla that was too thick for the taco and detracted from the goodness inside. Next time we’re going to try a thinner and lower calorie tortilla. Feel free to comment below if you know of a good product you like to use (love suggestions and recommendations).
To keep the dish quick to prepare I did use my on-hand prepared ranch dressing.  I know some of you might endeavor to make your own and more power to you, but I was feeling lazy.
I wanted to add a little “something” to my breading so I added ground almonds for a little extra flavor, crunch, and healthy fats. You can certainly omit them and just add some more panko to my recipe.

FISH TACOS

Making the “salad” topping:
1 cup of shredded red cabbage
½ cup of shredded carrots
1 tablespoon of finely minced Serrano chili (jalapeno or whatever you like)
½ cup shredded cucumber
1 tablespoon ranch dressing
1-2 teaspoons of Siracha sauce (chili and garlic sauce available in most grocery stores) amount varies depending on your taste.
1 tsp lime juice or you can serve line wedges to everyone to add them selves
Mix together everything. Let rest in the fridge while you prepare the fish
Preparing the fish:
12 ounces of Tilapia filets cut into eight more manageable pieces
1/3 cup ground almonds
1 cup of panko bread crumbs
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (you can up this if you like heat)
½ tsp granulated onion
½ tsp granulated onion
1 tsp cumin
1 egg beaten with a splash of water
5 tablespoons olive oil

Heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet.  While heating the oil, mix the almonds, panko and spices in a shallow dish or tray.  Dip the fish into the egg wash and dredge through the panko mixture. Press lightly to ensure adhesion.  Continue with the remaining fish. Add the fish to the hot (not smoking) pan. Cook fish approximately 5 minutes on each side depending on the thickness. Remove to a paper towel lined dish.

Now build your tacos! 10” tortilla a scoop of “salad” and two pieces of fish! Serve warm.

You can also add in fresh salsa, sliced avocado or cilantro. Have fun!! Experiment and enjoy!

As always, feel free to comment your successes, suggestions or revisions!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment